Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] moving code around and building on multiple OSes

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:01:07 -0700
One of the things I'm interested in working on is moving a few code files around for better organization, and also really making the core engine a standalone library with a well defined API, better separating it from the "front-ends" (wireshark, tshark). I'd love to be able to have a python wrapper around the core engine, so that it becomes easy to use the engine programmatically. Also on my wish list is a rigorously-defined plugin API, with its own versioning, so that 3rd party plugin writers can know which versions of wireshark their plugins will work with.

Anyway, I only have access to a Linux development machine. One of my concerns is testing these types of changes on Windows. Perhaps I should do my development on a private development branch, and then let the build automation check it on Windows?

Gilbert