Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Infrastructure for plugins (including Lua-based ones) to add the

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2012 07:06:19 -0700
Hi folks,

In a previous email I raised the issue of givin Lua plugins the
ability to declare their own menus, not just menu items on existing
menus. Indeed, I would like to go further and to expose facilities for
plugins to add items to other places, like the Filter bar and the
popup menus.

However, one additional discussion that I think it is important to
have has occurred to me.

It seems to me that there are two approaches that can be taken with
respect to allowing plugins to add menus:

1. A free-for-all, where each plugin can establish its own menu. This
keeps each plugin separate, but could get a bit ugly.

2. A single menu for plugins, with each plugin getting its own section.

Each of these would require different infrastructure ...

Currently, as well, the infrastructure seems focused around Lua, but
it might be useful to make it more generic.

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe