Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Coding convention query
From: Jeff Morriss <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2012 10:05:40 -0400
Arun Sharma wrote:
Does in coding convention, it Limit lines to 79 characters?

I have gone through README.developer but didn't find any such restriction. Even when i see some codes, packet-tcp.c etc, some or most lines does not limit to 79 characters.
Could anyone confirm me on this. Thanks in advance.
There is not, AFAIK, a rule (hard or soft) on this.  I generally just
try to use the style of the file I'm currently viewing.  If I'm writing
a new module, personally, I tend to limit the lines to 79/80 columns.
(A colleague once convinced me of the benefit of 8-space tabs plus an
80-column limit: if you find yourself running out of room on the right
then it means your code is too complicated/nested and you need to rework
it, possibly breaking it into sub-functions.  Wireshark, with its
very_long_function_names() does tend to make such an approach difficult
though...)