Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Use shared libraries for dissectors?

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:08:09 +0200
On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 07:23:07AM -0700, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> One of the problems I see is that the startup time of Wireshark can be
> long because of the size of the Wireshark binary. There are a large
> number of protocols in Wireshark now, many of which I don't use. There
> is also the initialization time for each of those protocols.

If we talk about startup time, we could also:
 - remove all -1 hf's and ett's initializations (smaller libwireshark, more data in .bss)
 - In libwireshark library we should have proto_register_* and proto_reg_handoff_* in the same
   order like in register.c. In MSVC we could use /ORDER [1] in GNU ld it's complicated ;-)

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/00kh39zz.aspx