Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] WIRESHARK_RUN_FROM_BUILD_DIRECTORY for in-source CMake build

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:41:46 -0700
On Jun 21, 2012, at 6:25 AM, Jeff Morriss wrote:

> There's code in epan/filesystem.c that is able to detect (based on the presence of the .libs directory) that we're being run from an autotools-based build directory (thus making the environment variable not necessary).  No such code (yet) exists for cmake.  Or Windows, for that matter...

In the case of Windows, the right way to run the built executables is from the wireshark-gtk2 directory.

A while ago, there was some discussion suggesting that we should with auto* (and presumably CMake) do as we do with MSVC++ nmake, and "install" the built executables and data files in a separate directory as part of the build process to provide a way to run from the build directory (so that you don't have to install the built Wireshark package in order to test it).  I *think* the issue that provoked the discussion was out-of-source-tree builds, but other issues favoring that may have come up during the discussion.