Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 43176: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Jakub Zawadzki <darkjames-ws@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 20:33:00 +0200
Hi,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 01:59:35PM -0400, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> In other words, prior to the recent changes if I used BASE_NONE for a
> field (say, sctp.chunk_type) then if I did "prepare as filter" for that
> field, I'd get, for example:
>
> 	sctp.chunk_type == "HEARTBEAT"
>
> whereas using BASE_DEC would give me:
>
> 	sctp.chunk_type == 4
>
> Now (in trunk and trunk-1.8) dissector writers no longer have that
> option.  I'm not convinced they should; maybe we should always do one or
> the other (which?).

+1 It could be preference, with default string output.

Also I used BASE_NONE in nflog for guessed packet encodning.
This value for user is meaningless, and can be not shown:
  [Encoding: Little Endian (0x80000000)]

It's narrow usecase but maybe PDML generation code could
fallback to BASE_HEX (or BASE_DEC?, it can be disscussed)
when BASE_NONE is requested.