Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Custom widget for packet bytes

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 18:03:09 -0700
On Jun 15, 2012, at 2:22 PM, Jakub Zawadzki wrote:

> I'm in the process of writting custom widget for packet bytes (hex/bits).

Presumably it'll be "lazy" and not require that the entire hex/ASCII dump be formatted before it can be displayed?  For a really big reassembled packet formatting the hex dump can take a while.

> It works nice, but it lacks some features of old GtkTextView:

1.10.0 or 2.0.0 or whatever it's called is probably about a year away, so we have plenty of time to figure out how to take care of the features that matter.

> - At least on Linux you could select **any** text using mouse and it
>   got copied to clipboard.

Well, sometimes people might want to select whatever the text is, regardless of whether it's an offset for the row or hex dump text or ASCII dump text, and copy it, and other times they might want to be able to select, for example, just some text from the hex dump or from the ASCII dump, so maybe that's sometimes a bug and sometimes a feature.

> - No horizontal scrolling. Do we need it? For really small screens with big fonts?

Horizontal scrolling support is probably not a bad idea, just in case the user shrinks the window for some reason, but it probably doesn't have to be there when it's first checked in.

> - It doesn't flicker.

Presumably the lack of that feature is not a bug. :-)