Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] idl2wrs cannot be disabled in Wireshark 1.8.

From: Anders Broman <a.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2012 01:37:05 +0200
Jeff Morriss skrev 2012-06-08 22:35:
Petr Sumbera wrote:
Hi,

I see that configure option '--disable-idl2wrs' no longer works for 1.8 version. I would like ask what is behind this change? And without knowing exactly what this script does I see that wireshark_be.py and wireshark_gen.py are not installed at the same time... So I'm confused.

I think it refers to \wireshark\epan\dissectors\dcerpc\idl2wrs.c which is used for samba related stuff not the idl2wrs python script used for Corba based dissectors which uses wireshark_be.py and wireshark_gen.py
Looks like this came in this revision:

http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc?revision=39985&view=revision

The commit log doesn't list a reason, but I suppose it might be for simplicity (really, why have an option?).

But, I'm not entirely sure it makes sense to install the script at all: its purpose is to generate dissectors which is a development task (for which you need the source code) not something someone would be doing on an installed system.

Balint?