Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Lua: condition on protocol preference

From: Tony Trinh <tony19@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:06:17 -0400
On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Just to make sure I understand you correctly: You have a Wireshark dissector
that uses the normal Wireshark preferences infrastructure and you have a Lua
program that needs to know about these preferences.
If that is correct, then you should be able to read those preferences from
the preferences file. On my system that would be ~/.wireshark/preferences,
the directory can be found in Wireshark menus: [Help] -> [About Wireshark]
-> [Folders]

Ciao
     Jörg

Just be aware that there's a preference file for each configuration profile in Wireshark, and I don't believe there's a way for Lua to determine the active Wireshark profile. Plus, the user may choose to override preferences from the command line with the -o flag, and these overrides are not written to the preferences file (thus not detectable in Lua); but the -o flag is probably an advanced feature that most users don't use (or even know about), so perhaps that's a non-issue.

-Tony