Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 41952: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 21:52:27 +0200
On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 08:38:26AM +0000, etxrab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=41952
>
> User: etxrab
> Date: 2012/04/05 01:38 AM
>
> Log:
>  Use common code to add ip version to the tree.
>
> Directory: /trunk/epan/dissectors/
>   Changes    Path             Action
>   +8 -4      packet-ip.c      Modified
>   +2 -0      packet-ip.h      Modified
>   +1 -18     packet-ipv6.c    Modified

I strongly disagree with this patch and the patch doing the same to dscp
(and the corresponding bug):

It completely violates the principle of least surprise: Previous to this
patch *all* filterable elements of the ipv6 protocol had filters starting
with ipv6. - this is no longer the case. The reason we have the ip_version
in ipv6 *in addition to* ipv6_version was exactly this: Some people might
be surprised if ip.version==6 would not work - principle of least surprise
again.

I'm very much for reverting r41952 and r41953 - so much so that I will do
exactly this if there are no strong arguments to not do this.

Ciao
       Jörg