Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Make "giop plugins" built in dissectors?

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2012 14:09:26 -0400
Jeff Morriss wrote:
Anders Broman wrote:
Hi,
It should be possible to make the giop plugins built in dissectors now, is that something we'd want to do?

I'd be all for it mainly so/if we can put packet-parlay.c at the top of the list of dissectors so that my "make -j X" can start the 15 minutes it takes to compile that beast as early as possible! (Okay, 15 minutes is probably an exaggeration, but it does take a *very* long time to compile.)

Haha, thought this was funny: today I did a build on Solaris 10/SPARC with GCC 4.6.3 and, after about 45(!) minutes (yeah, I know, SPARCs aren't fast), got this when compiling packet-parlay.c:

epan/dissectors/packet-parlay.c:96834:17: note: variable tracking size limit
> exceeded with -fvar-tracking-assignments, retrying without

I wonder if modern GCCs will have that problem or if it's just this version or (doubtful) the architecture. It would be really nice if this file could be split up.