Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Starting point for a developer

From: Dipanjan Das <mail.dipanjan.das@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 10:29:42 +0530

Hi Aft,

I am yet keen to know who are the core Wireshark developers & if there is any way to find out the commits made by any one of the community developers.

On 27 May 2012 04:09, Aft nix <aftnix@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 4:13 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On May 25, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Dipanjan Das wrote:
>
>> I want to get myself involved in the development of Wireshark. Can anybody please let me know about the following:

<snip>

> They can, and they did, answer at least the first question the previous time when you asked those questions (and you received those replies, as you replied in turn to them).

its very difficult for understanding open source development process
for a new comer( it took months for me just to understand the dynamics).
People who are old school devs developed a culture in Usenet news groups
which they brought with them into different mailing lists. Here it grew and
flourished.

But in the countries where computers and internet in particular were more
recent phenomenon(like mine), its difficult to grasp it first.

And for the original reply. I guess you start by reading wireshark developer
guide. Although it focuses on writing a new protocol dissector. But other
then that it will set you up a development environment.

submit patches in wireshark-dev list. it will grow your acceptance. If
your patches
are useful (Like i once wanted to write a mysql support for RTP stats,
but never had time to do it)
people will use your patches. If your patches are in song with
wireshark core developers, they
may be merge it with their stable branch.

For this moment checkout the latest revision in a linux
system.(Building wireshark in windows
is a royal pain). build it. and start reading wireshark developer guide.

--
-aft