Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] There seems to be a problem with dissect_nt_create_andx_response

From: Richard Sharpe <realrichardsharpe@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 20:34:12 -0700
Hi folks,

I have noticed that there are some undissected bytes when I look at
NTCreate&X response, and I guess I have to accept the blame for that.
However, when I look at the code in Samba
(source3/nttrans.c:reply_ntcreate_and_X I see the following:

        SOFF_T(p, 0, SMB_VFS_GET_ALLOC_SIZE(conn,fsp,&smb_fname->st));
        p += 8;
        SOFF_T(p,0,file_len);
        p += 8;

This matches up with the following in the dissector:

        /* allocation size */
        proto_tree_add_item(tree, hf_smb_alloc_size64, tvb, offset, 8,
ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN);
        offset += 8;

        /* end of file */
        /* We store the end of file */
        if (fid_info) {
                fid_info->end_of_file=tvb_get_letoh64(tvb, offset);
        }
        proto_tree_add_item(tree, hf_smb_end_of_file, tvb, offset, 8,
ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN);
        offset += 8;

However, then Samba does:

       if (flags & EXTENDED_RESPONSE_REQUIRED) {
                uint16_t file_status = (NO_EAS|NO_SUBSTREAMS|NO_REPARSETAG);
                size_t num_names = 0;
                unsigned int num_streams = 0;
                struct stream_struct *streams = NULL;

                /* Do we have any EA's ? */
                status = get_ea_names_from_file(ctx, conn, fsp,
                                smb_fname->base_name, NULL, &num_names);
                if (NT_STATUS_IS_OK(status) && num_names) {
                        file_status &= ~NO_EAS;
                }
                status = vfs_streaminfo(conn, NULL, smb_fname->base_name, ctx,
                        &num_streams, &streams);
                /* There is always one stream, ::$DATA. */
                if (NT_STATUS_IS_OK(status) && num_streams > 1) {
                        file_status &= ~NO_SUBSTREAMS;
                }
                TALLOC_FREE(streams);
                SSVAL(p,2,file_status);
        }
        p += 4;
        SCVAL(p,0,fsp->is_directory ? 1 : 0);

        if (flags & EXTENDED_RESPONSE_REQUIRED) {
                uint32 perms = 0;
                p += 25;
                if (fsp->is_directory ||
                    can_write_to_file(conn, smb_fname)) {
                        perms = FILE_GENERIC_ALL;
                } else {
                        perms = FILE_GENERIC_READ|FILE_EXECUTE;
                }
                SIVAL(p,0,perms);
        }

Which inserts an int and then a further 29 bytes if
EXTENDED_RESPONSE_REQUIRED is in the incoming flags, and sticks a one
byte is_directoy indicator in between.

However, in the dissector we have (syncing up with the offset += 8 above):

        offset += 8;

        /* File Type */
        ftype=tvb_get_letohs(tvb, offset);
        proto_tree_add_item(tree, hf_smb_file_type, tvb, offset, 2,
ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN);
        offset += 2;

        /* IPC State */
        offset = dissect_ipc_state(tvb, tree, offset, FALSE);

        /* is directory */
        isdir=tvb_get_guint8(tvb, offset);
        proto_tree_add_item(tree, hf_smb_is_directory, tvb, offset, 1,
ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN);
        offset += 1;

Which will be wrong if EXTENDED_RESPONSES_REQUIRED ...

I will have a look at the MS documents on this and try to prepare an update :-)

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe