Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New developer - how to start?

From: Dipanjan Das <mail.dipanjan.das@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 02:10:36 +0530

Hi Pascal,

As you have mentioned "If your patch is considered as good enough, it will be committed to the subversion repository by one of the core developers.", I'd like to know if the list of core developers & community developers available somewhere.

On 26 May 2012 02:01, Pascal Quantin <pascal.quantin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2012/5/25 Dipanjan Das <its.dipanjan.das@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi Developers,
>
> I want to get myself involved in the development of Wireshark. Can anybody
> please let me know about the following:
>
> Is there anywhere I need to get myself registered as a developer?
> How are the tasks splitted across?
> How is the synchronization among developers done?

Hi,

there is no registration needed. All you need is to follow the advices
found here:
http://www.wireshark.org/develop.html
This page contains links to useful docs like the developer's user guide:
http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked
Then once you want to start coding, the doc folder (located at the
root of the source code tree) contains a lot of useful stuff also.

Usually people working on a feature / bug fix submit a bug report to
https://bugs.wireshark.org/ and attach their patch for review. If your
patch is considered as good enough, it will be committed to the
subversion repository by one of the core developers.
If you do not have any specific idea on what to work on, they are
plenty of bugs waiting for a contributor :)

Best regards,
Pascal.