Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] About the ip address -host name conversion module in wiresha

From: Jim Wright <James.R.Wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 10:21:49 -0600
"whois" shows you who the domain is registered to. If you are looking for shell commands rather than library routines, then "host" or "nslookup" might work for you.

% host wireshark.com
wireshark.com has address 184.172.141.116

% host 184.172.141.116
116.141.172.184.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer seq.sequoiahosting.com.

However, as the example above shows the result you get depends on the reverse DNS entry. Some organizations do not even supply reverse DNS, in other cases you will get the name of the company or machine which supplies the virtual hosting for a domain name.

Hope this helps.