Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 42578: /trunk/wiretap/ /trunk/wireta

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 10:26:19 -0700
On May 11, 2012, at 10:15 AM, gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> http://anonsvn.wireshark.org/viewvc/viewvc.cgi?view=rev&revision=42578
>
> User: gerald
> Date: 2012/05/11 10:15 AM
>
> Log:
> Use "%parse-param" instead of a global variable. Fixes a scan-build
> warning.

I think that requires a newer version of Bison to compile - YACC, and older versions of Bison, and possibly Berkeley YACC may not handle that.

For building from a source tarball, that won't matter if the tarball includes the result of running Bison on ascend.y.

For building from SVN, it will matter.  It'd be nicer if the configure script would warn about that...

...but we've already run into this issue with Flex, as I remember.  I'm not sure what the right way not to require Flex or YACC/Bison (or particular versions thereof) for people just building from the source tarball as an alternative to installing a binary package but to require it for people building from SVN or doing development with a source tarball (which they probably shouldn't be doing if they can possibly just develop from SVN, but...).