Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Small query

From: Krishnamurthy Mayya <krishnamurthymayya@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 12:31:04 +0530
Thanks Jeff..its working now...Could not figure out what was wrong earlier though.

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Krishnamurthy Mayya wrote:
Hi all,

 I have been facing problems with creating a packet in Centos 6.2. I have a hex file which i am using as input to *text2pcap. *But, the output will always say 0 packets read, 0 packtes wrote.

Has anyone encountered the similar problem in Centos 6.2. How to overcome this problem??
Thanks in advance.

text2pcap is very particular about the format it is given.  Common mistakes (that I make anyway):

- Are the line(s) prefixed with an offset of 000?  E.g.:
000 ab cd ef [...]

- Is there a space at the end of the line(s)--at least after the hex dump stops?  This may have been fixed, but I don't remember in what version(s).

Another thing to try is to use the 'od' command line options recommended in the man page on some random file to verify that text2pcap is really working, then try to manually apply that random file's 'od' output format to your file.