Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Using global variables to store dissection information

From: Jim Wright <James.R.Wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 14:44:04 -0600
Jakub, sorry about the global variable. The recent work on packet-dtn.[ch] comes from me. I read all the wireshark developer info prior to diving in, but I admit I don't recall any particular discussion of this. As you can see from [1], there were a great many global variables in there prior to my work. I just assumed that was the way to do it, and yet I still agonized over how to most effectively get the "bundle_custodian" variable into the code. I agree that global variables are to be avoided.

Do you have particular suggestions? Are some of the global variables here "less offensive" than others?

Jim

Jim Wright
BioServe Space Technologies
303-492-1579