Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] custom dissector

From: Chad Milam <cdubbm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 11:26:26 -0500
I've written two relatively simple dissectors and gotten them to work under some basic conditions. However, the protocols can use random ports (not inside of a single conversation, but generally speaking).  Also, the protocols are not easily identified by any marker inside of the protocol, making heuristics not terribly ideal.  Both of them are based on UDP.

Is there a way I can get the protocol dissector plugin to show up in the decode as menu, and not have them do any real work until it is selected? I do not see them in the menu today.

Or is there another way to achieve what is that I am looking to do?

Thanks