Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Capturing CAN packets

From: Felix Obenhuber <felix@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 17:22:23 +0200
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM, Joakim Wiberg <jow@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Any suggestions on how we shall encapsulate the CAN frames in Ethernet frames to make them show up in Wireshark in a logical way.
>
> The current implementation that's using a OUI in the SNAP header works, but is this the preferable way? Is it better to use an unused Ethernet type, or something else?

Can you describe why you choose the way over the NIC and not over
pcap? When you connect your CAN capture code to pcap you can use some
DLT as it is done for USB or SocketCAN etc.
I know it's a mess, that all CAN device manufacturer provide it's own
API for Windows due to the lack of something like SocketCAN.

Felix