Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win32 Buildbot failing with "Capture 10 packets" Failed! exi

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 20:41:21 -0800
On Mar 9, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2012, at 4:01 AM, Anders Broman wrote:
>
>> If I try to run /wireshark-gtk2/wireshark -k: 127 wireshark crashes in file_util.c in  ws_load_library(gchar *library_name)
>>
>> library_name = 0xfffffffe <Bad Ptr>
>>
>> Ideas?
>
> The only ws_load_library calls I found are:
>
> 	airpcap_loader.c:    if((AirpcapLib = ws_load_library("airpcap.dll")) == NULL)
> 	nio-ie5.c:      HINSTANCE h = ws_load_library("wininet.dll");
> 	ui/gtk/main.c:  ws_load_library("riched20.dll");
>
> which all pass string constants, so that *shouldn't* happen.

In addition, the airpcap_loader.c and ui/gtk/main.c calls look as if they should happen before we even *see* the "-k" flag, and the third one doesn't look as if it'll be done at all (it's part of some unused code for doing automatic updates), so I'm not sure how the "-k" flag could make a difference - but it does.

Anybody know how to arrange that, when Wireshark crashes when run from the command line, the MSVC++ Express Edition debugger attaches to it?

(BTW, when I run wireshark with -k, it restarts after it crashes - is this something Windows is doing automatically?)

> In the buildbot, it's also getting
>
>> (wireshark.exe:3500): Gtk-WARNING **: ToolsMenu|_Tools: missing action ToolsMenu|_Tools
>>
>> (wireshark.exe:3500): Gtk-WARNING **: ToolsMenu|_Tools: missing action ToolsMenu|_Tools

> and if I copy all the .lua files from epan/wslua into the plugins directory and run from the command line, I get similar warnings:
>
>> (wireshark:54301): Gtk-WARNING **: StatisticsMenu|Statistics: missing action StatisticsMenu|Statistics
>>
>> (wireshark:54301): Gtk-WARNING **: StatisticsMenu|Statistics: missing action StatisticsMenu|Statistics
>
> Is the Lua menu stuff not working with the new menu code?

That's a separate problem, and shows up even without "-k".