Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] movement of source files from the top-level directory

From: Gilbert Ramirez <gram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:08:57 -0800
I did an analysis of the top-level source files, to see the groupings.

Small Programs
capinfos.c - for capinfos
dftest..c - for dftest
editcap.c - for editcap
mergecap.c - for mergecap
randpkt.c - for randpkt
rawshark.c - for rawshark
text2pcap.c & text2pcap-scanner.c (generated) - for text2pcap
tshark.c - for tshark

Not mentioned anywhere!
mkcap.c
nio-ie5.c (but the obj is cleaned in Makefile.nmake)
trigcap.c
update.c (but the obj is cleaned in Makefile.nmake)

wireshark_SOURCES only
airpcap_loader.c
capture.c
capture_info.c
color_filters.c
file.c
fileset.c
filters.c
g711.c
proto_hier_stats.c
recent.c
summary.c
u3.c

SHARK_COMMON_CAPTURE_SRC only (meant for wireshark and tshark, but not rawshark)
capture_ifinfo.c
capture_sync.c
capture_ui_utils.c

wireshark_SOURCES + tshark_SOURCES + dumpcap_SOURCES
capture_opts.c
tempfile.c

dumpcap_SOURCES + WIRESHARK_COMMON_SRC
capture-pcap-util.c
capture-pcap-util-unix.c
capture-wpcap.c
capture_wpcap_packet.c
clopts_common.c
sync_pip_write.c

dumpcap_SOURCES only
capture_stop_conditions.c
conditions.c
dumpcap.c
pcapio.c
ringbuffer.c
version_info.c

WIRESHARK_COMMON_SRC only (meant for wireshark, tshark, and rawshark)
cfile.c
disabled_protos.c
frame_data_sequence.c
packet-range.c
print.c
ps.c (generated source file)
tap-megaco-common.c
tap-rtp-common.c
timestats.c

wireshark_SOURCES + mergecap_SOURCES
merge.c

So, we could go so far as:

1) creating a directory for all the sources that are meant only for wireshark only (i.e, a GUI analyzer); perhaps some of those files belong in epan, but not all.

2) create a "capture" directory to create libcapture.a for all the files shared by any combination of wireshark, tshark, rawshark, and dumpcap

3) create a directory for all the sources meant only for dumpcap; there's a good amount of them

4) We could keep the "small program" sources at the top-level for now

5) The 4 .c files that aren't mentioned in a makefile... we need to see if those are needed any more.

Gilbert

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 7, 2012, at 9:07 PM, Gilbert Ramirez wrote:

> With this in mind, and by analyzing the groupings in Makefile.common, I'd like to recommend the following movements:
>
> Create new directory called shark, to contain files common, or almost common, to the analyzer applications (wireshark, tshark, and rawshark):
>
> airpcap_loader.c

That one might belong in a "capture" subdirectory, in which a static library is built, unless it's also used by dumpcap.

> alert_box.c

Oops, that one belongs in the ui subdirectory, as it's only used by Wireshark, not TShark or rawshark; I'll work on moving it there.

> capinfos.c

That's a command by itself.

> capture.c
> capture_ifinfo.c
> capture_info.c
> capture_opts.c
> capture-pcap-util.c
> capture-pcap-util-unix.c
> capture_stop_conditions.c
> capture_sync.c
> capture_ui_utils.c
> capture-wpcap.c
> capture_wpcap_packet.c

Any of those not used by dumpcap arguably belongs in the aforementioned "capture" subdirectory.

Any of those used only by dumpcap may belong, along with dumpcap, in a subdirectory for dumpcap.

(Or maybe we can have both dumpcap and the programs that run it link with the "capture" library, in case there's anything used by dumpcap and those programs.)

> I also feel that the directories that distribute data files (radius, dtds, idl), should all be moved under another new directory, perhaps "definitions", but I know less about those files.

One advantage of having them in the top-level directory is that the top-level directory then looks a bit more like the installation directory, so the "run this from the build directory" mechanism has to do less work.