Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] movement of source files from the top-level directory

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 00:26:45 -0800
On Mar 7, 2012, at 9:07 PM, Gilbert Ramirez wrote:

> With this in mind, and by analyzing the groupings in Makefile.common, I'd like to recommend the following movements:
>
> Create new directory called shark, to contain files common, or almost common, to the analyzer applications (wireshark, tshark, and rawshark):
>
> airpcap_loader.c

That one might belong in a "capture" subdirectory, in which a static library is built, unless it's also used by dumpcap.

> alert_box.c

Oops, that one belongs in the ui subdirectory, as it's only used by Wireshark, not TShark or rawshark; I'll work on moving it there.

> capinfos.c

That's a command by itself.

> capture.c
> capture_ifinfo.c
> capture_info.c
> capture_opts.c
> capture-pcap-util.c
> capture-pcap-util-unix.c
> capture_stop_conditions.c
> capture_sync.c
> capture_ui_utils.c
> capture-wpcap.c
> capture_wpcap_packet.c

Any of those not used by dumpcap arguably belongs in the aforementioned "capture" subdirectory.

Any of those used only by dumpcap may belong, along with dumpcap, in a subdirectory for dumpcap.

(Or maybe we can have both dumpcap and the programs that run it link with the "capture" library, in case there's anything used by dumpcap and those programs.)

> I also feel that the directories that distribute data files (radius, dtds, idl), should all be moved under another new directory, perhaps "definitions", but I know less about those files.

One advantage of having them in the top-level directory is that the top-level directory then looks a bit more like the installation directory, so the "run this from the build directory" mechanism has to do less work.