Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Err when using a pipe

Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2012 16:28:36 -0600
This is from dumpcap. Here is the complete stack. It occurring while writing the IDB

#0  0x00ac7433 in pcap_stats () from /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8
#1  0x080513de in libpcap_write_interface_statistics_block (fp=0x805af70, interface_id=0, pd=0x0, bytes_written=0x80572fc, err=0xbfffd2a8) at pcapio.c:472
#4  0x08051224 in main (argc=<value optimized out>, argv=<value optimized out>) at dumpcap.c:3916

And one more important stuff i could figure out is that this segmentation fault occurs only when wireshark is capturing in PCAPNG format.
I changed the capture format to LIBPCAP and it worked fine

The wireshark wiki tells that the capture file being used with pipe should be in LIBPCAP format and my capture file is in LIBPCAP only. Only wireshark capture format is PCAPNG.

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mar 4, 2012, at 2:23 AM, vijay wrote:

> I digged in bit further and found where the SIGSEV is signaled. Its coming from the p_stats(). Here is what i got in gdb
>
> [New Thread 0xb78acb70 (LWP 3668)]

> [Switching to Thread 0xb78acb70 (LWP 3668)]
> 0x00f6f433 in pcap_stats () from /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8

Is this in Wireshark or in dumpcap?  The only code I can find in the top of the 1.6 branch that calls pcap_stats() is in dumpcap.

And what's the full stack trace?