Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 41242: /trunk/ /trunk/ui/gtk/: edit_

From: Anders Broman <anders.broman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 23:58:17 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Stig Bjørlykke
Sent: den 29 februari 2012 22:37
To: wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 41242: /trunk/ /trunk/ui/gtk/: edit_packet_comment_dlg.c edit_packet_comment_dlg.h main_statusbar.c /trunk/: file.c file.h summary.c /trunk/wiretap/: wtap.c

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM,  <etxrab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>  Help with a different color LED possibly with Jeff's (c) in it apreceated.
>>  Should the LED be placed elsewhere or the whole thing done differently?
>
>Some ideas:
>- What about a document-with-a-pen icon, with different color when having comments?  Or maybe a post-it-note
>icon?

Sure, that may be better. Any one volunteering to add the icon?

>- What about displaying a list of comments, both the capture comment and all packet comments in one window?
>Just like we have for the expert info list.  This way it's easy to see all comments in one capture file.

A separate tree view or a tap to expert info?

>- What about having a severity for each packet comment, with a matching color?  Some notes are important while >some are just for info or clarification.

I've been thinking of adding Packet comments as a tab to the expert info with a new expert group, adding
Severity would require some sort of tags added to the comments as well - a thought I've been toying with.
Something xml:ish?
<Wireshark>
- Links to associated packets <link>
- Severity
- filter(s) for (capture comments)
- preference to use (for capture comments) or a complete profile
- Filtered from original yes/no
- Name of original file
Any tag we can think of :-)
</Wireshark>
Some of that could be applied automatically when loading a capture.
Not sure how difficult it would be to parse the notes.

How to get going on all of this? It would be nice if we could agree on the direction we will want to go.
And then collaborate on the different parts.
Anders

--
Stig Bjørlykke