Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Meeting minutes from (pre)FOSDEM meeting
From: Anders Broman <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2012 11:53:09 +0100
>> - we have interesting new features
>>  + multi interface capture:
>>    o how will people feel about the additional click required to get 
>> to capture filter
We are open for any suggestion to improve things.
>>    o how well is it documented
>Irene is going to update the user manual really soon. She's currently testing a patch which
>* allows to rescan local interface (as suggested by you).
>* add and delete remote hosts
>* provide a GUI for adding pipes for capturing This is done in a way that we can simply add other methods for capturing easily.
>After this patch is checked in, the user manual will be updated. We were putting this at the end of the list, because we wanted to improve the GUI based on 
>feedback and then write the documentation once.
>
>I have a question regarding the images in the user manual. Do we have a preferred OS to get them from?
>
>Best regards
>Michael

It would be nice to look into the posibillity of adding the frendly interface name to the pcapng IDB and perhaps an abillity to add a fre text comment to the IDB as well from the capture options menu. At least having the API for it-
Regards
Anders

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Michael Tuexen
Sent: den 17 februari 2012 16:54
To: Developer support list for Wireshark
Subject: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Meeting minutes from (pre)FOSDEM meeting

Hi Joerg,

first of all: Thank you very much for providing the notes.
Some comments in-line.

Best regards
Michael
On Feb 3, 2012, at 4:51 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:

> As some people met in Brussels on the eve of FOSDEM and talked about 
> Wireshark, here are some notes on what was talked about. We just don't 
> want to leave anyone out on what was talked about.
> 
> As usual: These are personal opinions etc, nothing is set in stone....
> 
> ciao
>     Jörg
> 
> Next release:
> 
> - we have interesting new features
>  + multi interface capture:
>    o how will people feel about the additional click required to get 
> to capture filter
We are open for any suggestion to improve things.
>    o how well is it documented
Irene is going to update the user manual really soon. She's currently testing a patch which
* allows to rescan local interface (as suggested by you).
* add and delete remote hosts
* provide a GUI for adding pipes for capturing This is done in a way that we can simply add other methods for capturing easily.
After this patch is checked in, the user manual will be updated. We were putting this at the end of the list, because we wanted to improve the GUI based on feedback and then write the documentation once.

I have a question regarding the images in the user manual. Do we have a preferred OS to get them from?

Best regards
Michael
>  + default of pcap-ng
>    o new install: pcap-ng default
>    o update: keep
>    o put it prominently into the release notes
>    o unexpected behaviour, like mergecap - better error messages  + 
> Gerald may do some blog posts to introduce the new things to
>    warn users about the upcoming changes  + gtk3 as default build
>    o proto_help
>    o audiograph problems
>    o tcp-graph: crosshairs not right
>    o menus lack frames
>    o gtk2 support on windows has problems as well (no current gtk 2.24 on win64)
>    o It's too early for making it default for 1.8  + building Linux 
> packages:
>    o Jörg will try to get a repo on obs for wireshark to provide packages
>      for many Linux distros (and offer an alternative with gtk2 and 
> gtk3)  + Must perform as well or better than the GTK2 version
> - release timing
>  + well before sharkfest, so people have used it  + perhaps shortly 
> after easter  + April / May looks realistic
> - we do too few *development* releases  + do them more regularly 
> (monthly/bi-monthly)  + do feature releases
> - backporting:
>  + right now: using the wiki
>    o it's a lot of work
>  + to make it easier: use a magic word in the commit message
>    Mesa uses: "    NOTE: This is a candidate for the 7.11 branch."
>    and keep the wiki in case the note was forgotten (or enforce every
>    commit message to HEAD to have a #Backport: 0/1# part  + can svn 
> hooks help here?
>  + Alternatively: give a level of importance for a backport instead of
>    just yes/no
> 
> Bugfixing:
> - How do we handle all the old bugs?
> - Maybe a top 5 bugs of the week
> - Maybe a top 5 bugfixers of the week
> - Maybe a testing/bugfixing weekend like Fedora/Ubuntu do
> - Maybe Riverbed could hire someone to work on this
> - Chris and Jeff seem to do quite a lot of triaging on the bugzilla
> - can/should we make use of the voting mechanism in bugzilla?
> 
> Annotations:
> - Martin has submitted a patch and wants to know whether he is on the  
> right track
> - Is annotating packet #3 in a 4 GB file a problem?
> 
> Anonymizing:
> - Two use cases:
>  + Address anonymization
>    o replace everything of FT_IPv4 in memory
>      x more general: transformation function
>    o ftp, where ip-addresses are embedded in ascii-form
>      x needs special handling inside the dissector.
>      x for this particular problem: Maybe add an Encoding
>        type for it
>    o Print a csv file for the mapping
>    o maybe keep the last n bits as an option  + Content anonymization
>    o Zero out elements that contain sensitive information, e.g.
>      credit card information, rtp: audio part
>    o Have an FT-type that declares that data is available to
>      anonymization
> - Have a white list, zero out all protocol data that's not  on the 
> whitelist
> - Order of steps
>  + First solve the prolbem of writing the changed data back to file
>    (take a look at the packeteditor feature)  + Then discuss the rest.
> 
> How do display filters work:
> - Nobody present here really understands how display filters work
> 
> qtshark:
> - maybe we can attract a seasoned qt-developer to help us getting 
> started  with the qtshark design stuff
> 
> cmake:
> - on windows
>  + cmake for VisualStudio would be welcome  + Find out which features 
> (scripts) are needed on windows  + Graham is working on getting rid of 
> the cygwin toolchain by writing
>    powershell replacements. If they are cross platform scripts, they
>    will be in python. The setup still requires the normal Windows
>    perl and python packages.
>  + cmake would allow out-of-tree builds on Windows  + starting with a 
> cygwin/nmake alternative would be an idea as there is
>    no native windows / VisualStudio setup available right now.
> 
> iOS version:
> - Probably not: Apple does not allow GPLed Software in the applestore:
>  http://michelf.com/weblog/2011/gpl-ios-app-store/
> 
> packet-x11.c:
> - Copy the required includes into wireshark sources dissectors/x11/
> 
> git:
> - Gerald will make the git repo official once he finds the time for it
> - Moving to git will probably annoy lots of Windows users (tortoise 
> git  is not comparable to tortoise svn).
> - Are there tools to mirror out from git to svn?
> - Create use cases for core and non-core developer use of git and svn,  
> then check whether these use cases can be fulfilled by running svn and  
> git-svn.
> - If not, ask the core developers how they think about git - they are 
> the  only ones that would be forced to interact with git, the rest 
> could use a  svn mirror.
> - non-core developers could benefit a lot from git, read-only access  
> is enough.
> 
> docbook:
> - can we create one paper type that is compatible with both us and a4, 
> so  we only have to build the pdfs once.
> - the windows help files are deprecated by microsoft but the 
> replacement  is not supported on xp
> - we don't have oneline help on Unix/Linux/...
> - Using a unified help format for all platforms? pdf with links?
> - Is docbook really the right format or should the documentation be  
> moved to odf?
>  + Svn has tools to unpack odf files so the diffs are still
>    visible on checkin.
>  + Moving to odf would lower the barrier for most people who might
>    want to do documentation
>  + Ask the people who contributed to the documentation what they think
>    about such a change.
> - Jörg will add install targets and bug package maintainers to add ug 
> and dg  to the packages.
> 
> wiretap plugins:
> - plugins for reading proprietary packet formats are a good idea
> - put an example and explanation into wiretap/README.plugin
> - How to handle writing the (read-only) captures into a standard  
> format? Don't know.
> - is there a 1:1 mapping between DLTs and WTAP_ENCAP_... ?
> 
> i10n:
> - for the GUI OK
> - for the dissectors not OK
> - if someone wants to do it: don't stop him or her
> 
> 
> -- 
> Joerg Mayer                                           <[email protected]>
> We are stuck with technology when what we really want is just stuff 
> that works. Some say that should read Microsoft instead of technology.
> ___________________________________________________________________________
> Sent via:    Wireshark-dev mailing list <[email protected]>
> Archives:    http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev
> Unsubscribe: https://wireshark.org/mailman/options/wireshark-dev
>             
> mailto:[email protected]xxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe

___________________________________________________________________________
Sent via:    Wireshark-dev mailing list <[email protected]>
Archives:    http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev
Unsubscribe: https://wireshark.org/mailman/options/wireshark-dev
             mailto:[email protected]?subject=unsubscribe