Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 40877: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Alexis La Goutte <alexis.lagoutte@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:37:23 +0100

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM, Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Joerg Mayer wrote:
[...]

So more than half of all the stuff is added by using proto_tree_add_text.
As long as the ratio is that way, people are likely to continue using it
inside this dissector.
Any volunteer(s) to get this down to some sane level by replacing it by
proto_tree_add_item and adding hf_ entries where possible to make these
Elements filterable?

Should something like the above check be added to one of the check scripts
to complain if the add_text percentage is above 10% or so?

Done in r40930 though there's a lot of dissectors with the problem so I chose 50% as the warning level for now.  And the code isn't super fast either.  So it's commented out for now.  Maybe another command line option is in order?

Nice !
About the speed of code, why not include in checkhf ? (it is only launch by dev when submitted new dissector !)
It is possible to send some stats (Top 10 of worst dissector...)