Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Building Qt Wireshark:: using QMake

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2012 13:12:10 -0500
From doc/README.qt

 "Autotools + QMake is a basket full of crazy that hasn't yet
been sorted and folded.

(Autotools + Boring Old Make, without using
QMake at all, might actually be simpler:

+1 !

---------

Understanding and coping with the details of qmake doesn't particularly appeal to me.

Based upon my experiences of the last day or so (on Windows), AFAIKT the qmake documentation in places is out of date, wrong, or incomplete (using the documentation supplied with the 0.4.8 Qt Creator).

For Windows, it does seem possible to to figure things out but maybe just using nmake might not be too hard.

I'll eventually look into using nmake (after doing a bit more work to fix up using qmake on Windows).

Maybe doing something like we do now will be workable.

That is: have a "Common" file defining lists of files, etc and so on

--------

I also note that:

From:
http://swik.net/Trolltech/Trolltech+Labs+Blogs/Qt+Modules%E2%80%99+Maturity+Level%3A+The+list/fgfuh

"qmake
Overall module state: Done
Reasoning: stable code, we don�t recommend bringing it up in the level list. Research into a future, more modern buildsystem has started. "

--------

Using cmake sounds interesting; However, it seems that doing so has a significant learning curve (documentation not what it could be, etc, etc) so that's something for the future (for me).

Bill