Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] QtShark performance

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 04:34:44 -0800
On Jan 25, 2012, at 12:57 AM, Anders Broman wrote:

> I have had a quick look at QtShark loading a 150 Mb file is sligtly faster than the GTK version(~6s vs 8s

Note that the Qt version doesn't yet show a progress bar.  I'm experimenting with a different API for the progress bar, where you always call the "create" routine before the loop, and call the "update" routine on every trip through the loop and have it decide when to pop up the progress dialog, and, although I need to do more work on it, it might be that the extra procedure call is sufficient to slow down the file-loading process, so it might be that some of the difference between the Qt and GTK+ versions is less work done in deferred_create_progress_bar() and possibly even less work done in update_progress_bar().