Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build environment

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:12:10 -0000

Andriy,

The output of nmake -f Makefile.nmake verify_tools will tell you which
python you are using.  If you've installed Windows Python 2.7 into the
default directory it should be C:\Python27\python.exe.

config.nmake has some settings for which python to use, but if you leave
everything at the defaults it should pick up the Windows python
installation.

> > As the generation of register.c uses Python across all platforms
> > replacing it would require another cross platform solution, and as my
> > guess is that the generation is I/O bound moving to a compiled rather
> > than an interpreted solution may not improve things.
> Anyway, to compile wireshark you need to install many other "more
> traditional" tools, like bash and perl. Hence there are pocible much
faster
> replacement for python :) But, i think, this is more holywat theme then
> practical.

I would be very surprised to find Cygwin bash or perl faster than a native
Python, or even a Cygwin Python.  On my Win XP build VM, generating
register.c using windows Python 2.7 takes 6 seconds.