Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Cannot open wireshark

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 11:14:58 -0800
On Jan 15, 2012, at 6:49 PM, Bruce S. wrote:

> I am running OSX 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).  I recently downloaded Wireshark 1.6.5 (Intel 64-bit) from the wireshark.org site.
>
> I am getting the following error when I attempt to start the application.

> /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wireshark: line 83: /Applications/Wireshark.app/Contents/Resources/bin/wireshark-bin: Bad CPU type in executable

What type of processor does your machine have?  If it has an Intel Core Solo or Intel Core Duo processor, rather than an Intel Core 2 processor, an Intel Core i{3,5,7} processor, or a Xeon processor, it's incapable of running the 64-bit version of Wireshark, as it's a 32-bit processor rather than a 64-bit processor.

If you start Activity Monitor from the Utilities folder in the Applications folder, and it doesn't show any processes as "Intel (64 bit)", you probably have a 32-bit processor, and must download the Intel 32-bit version of Wireshark (which is built on Leopard, but should also work on Snow Leopard).