Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GTK3 for OSX

From: Joerg Mayer <jmayer@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 04:07:23 +0100
On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 05:11:41PM +0100, Michael Tuexen wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2011, at 12:41 PM, Joerg Mayer wrote:
>
> > Just a question I've been toying with:
> > Would it be ok/make sense to move the official builds on OSX from GTK2 to
> > GTK3?
> Depends on:
> * Does GTK3 compile? For GTK2 we need some patches?
> * Is it stable for releases?
> I haven't tried it yet?

OK, here's the state of GTK3 on OSX: You can try for yourself by running
the current version of the macos-setup.sh script (with the variable GTK3=1
(and optionally CMAKE=1).
The autotool path will compile.
With the cmake path there is a problem that -lfreetype is linked against but
-L/usr/X11/lib is missing. If you work around that by manually adjusting the
link.txt file for wireshark, wireshark will compile. The only thing that fails
to build it the mate plugin because the cmake stuff is set up to treat the
use of deprecated glib functions as errors.

Testers welcome!

 Ciao
        Jörg