Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Win32 build

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 15:02:09 -0500
On 1/10/2012 2:47 PM, Andriy Beregovenko wrote:
Hi,

I'm write a custom dissector, and it works fine... under Linux, but not
under Windows. Thus I have a problem to run wireshark under Windows as well
as debug problem.
  So, I built wireshark stable version 1.6.4 and 1.4.10 using manual [0]. Of
course, I add my file to nmake make files/rules and it builds success. But
when I try to load prev saved dump(it was saved by clean version of
wireshark), I got crash. This source builds(with cmake) and works fine under
Linux. Also I'm do not use ep_alloc*, using g_malloc instead(I understand
about memleaks, but now more important to made usable dissector under
windows.
  So, I'm looking for additional information how to debug problems with
windows segfaults.

P.S. For Windows build I'm use VC2008EE.

Use the VC debugger.

Start VC.

Do: File ! Open ! Project/Solution

    Click on wireshark.exe in the wireshark-gtk2 directory

You can now use VC in the normal manner to debug Wireshark (set breakpoints & etc)

(I'm assuming that a build using cmake generates the same executable and .pdb files as building with nmake).