Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Windows build environment

From: "Graham Bloice" <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 15:46:52 -0000

Folks,

This email was triggered by the recent win-setup.sh issue reported, but I’ve been thinking about the issues for a while.

FWIW over the Xmas break I looked into reworking the windows build to remove as many external dependencies (such as Cygwin) as possible.  I was using PowerShell to replace the bash bits.  We would still need Python and probably Perl as they are intrinsic to the build, and some gnuwin32 utilities such as bison and flex but I thought that the rest could be handled by PowerShell scripts.  Any extra executable (apart from Python and Perl) not normally found on a Windows machine could be bundled in a zip file similar to the way we handle the libs required.

Does anyone see any value in this?

I've also wondered about moving on from nmake and converting to MSBuild.  This is only usable from VS2008 or later though.  Any thoughts on that?

And there is also CMake, does anyone use that for the windows build?

--

Regards,

Graham Bloice