Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Question regarding QT/future Wireshark version

From: Stephen Fisher <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2012 12:42:44 -0700
---- On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:04:58 -0700 Roland Knall  wrote ----

>Is there a point in the forseeable future, where new development for
>the GTK version will cease to exist (and just focus on bug-fixing) and
>all further development should go into the QT version?

Considering that the "new packet list" effort took multiple years and that was just using a different part of GTK to implement our packet list, the move to QT will take quite a while.  Our fast and complex use of the GUI mainly with the packet list takes a surprisingly large amount of work to (re-)implement.

>The reason for my question is, that I currently are implementing some
>add-ons for the openSAFETY and EPL dissectors. I would prefer if I
>could avoid redoing significant parts of the implementation, and start
>with QT right away.

Is there any GTK specific parts?  Usually, Wireshark handles the GUI for you.