Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Problem with tools/win-setup.sh

From: "Weir, Alan" <AWeir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2012 06:18:46 -0600

I had developed a plugin using version 1.4 and wanted to recompile against 1.7. I installed the sources, edited config.nmake to use VS2010 and executed “nmake –f Makefile.nmake verify_tools”. I received the error message: C:\wireshark-win32-libs\current_tag.txt is (unknown)

Creating this file just to complete the verification process as I had done for the 1.4 installation did not eliminate the message. I chose to ignore the error and attempted to run the setup phase. This failed without installing the libraries in the correct folder. Further investigation revealed that a new and incorrect folder had been created on my C dive namely “C:\cygdrive\c\wireshark-win32-libs”. Suspecting a path issue I compared the win-setup.sh from the 1.4 and 1.7 releases and found that the four lines of the form:

      DEST_PATH=`cygpath --dos "$2"`

Had been modified in 1.7 to remove the –dos flag. I added this flag back in and re-ran the setup phase without any errors.

Why was this flag removed?

Alan