Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [RFC] CANOpen dissector

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 13:04:54 -0800
On Dec 2, 2011, at 12:57 PM, Yegor Yefremov wrote:

> So your play field is very limited. That's why I'm thinking about
> making an option to choose the desired high level protocol in
> socketcan settings.

If the protocol transported atop CAN frames is specified only by out-of-band negotiations (as in "everything in this {car,factory floor,hospital room,etc.} all use protocol XXX", i.e. the negotiations take place in a conference room rather than over a network :-)), the only way to choose the higher-level protocol might well be to have a user provide to Wireshark the results of that negotiation, meaning a preference.