Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] What is the best way to create a stateful dissector?

From: Bill Meier <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 18:38:35 -0500
On 11/22/2011 6:19 PM, Kenny Ho wrote:
Hi,

I am writing my first dissector and it needs to dissect a packet base
on some information in previous packets.  The protocol also allows
multiple of these stream mux together.  What is the best way to
create a stateful dissector?  From the dev guide, I notice there are
two different mechanisms that is "stateful" - the tap and the
"conversation".  From what I can tell, tap seems to be for
post-processing of stats only.  So is the "conversation" mechanism
the best way to implement a stateful dissector?

Yes: In addition to the dev guide, see doc/README.developer.

Did I miss any some other mechanism?

Note that it's possible (but less desirable due to memory usage) to store
"per-packet" state info  (see README.developer section 2.5).