Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Linked bug reports

From: Krishnamurthy Mayya <krishnamurthymayya@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 00:14:07 +0530
Thanks a lot Harris.Now i have submitted a single bug ( Bug 6610 in bugzilla) with all the required attachments and marked the previous bugs as duplicate which are no longer need to be referred. This would be fine right??

On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 11:28 PM, Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Nov 22, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Krishnamurthy Mayya wrote:

> I have submitted a bug report ( in Bugzilla) regarding the extensions we have done to wireshark to support MPLS-TP payload decoding. Actually, we have submitted 3 different bugs which are interrelated as in the diff files submitted will make sense only if applied to 3 files altogehter. (bug reports 6607, 6608, 6609).

If it makes no sense to apply some but not all of the patches, they should have been submitted as *one* bug.

If the patch for bug A makes a useful improvement by itself, the patch for bug B requires the patch for bug A and makes additional useful improvements, and the patch for bug C requires the patches for bugs A and B, then it's OK to submit them as separate bugs, but the bugs should specify the dependencies.

> Will there be any problem?? And is there any way in which we will come to know when our changes will be accepted??

When the bug's status is changed to RESOLVED/FIXED.

You should mark patches for review.  You may see the patch *rejected*, with comments as to why it was rejected, in which case you should submit a new patch with the problems resolved and mark it for review.

> I would also like to know if the descriptions mentioned in the bug report can be edited.

The summary line can be edited.  The initial description and subsequent comments cannot be; the most you can do is make a comment saying "when I said XXX I meant YYY".