Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Looking for a Wireshark Plugin Tool Developer?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 13:04:23 -0800
On Nov 11, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:07 AM, Jason Saham wrote:
>
>> I am looking for a consultant that can help us develop some Wireshark plugins that can read our port and time stamping data from our network products.
>
> Which network products are these, and what sort of port and time stamping data is to be read?
>
> Without knowing that, prospective developers might not know where the support for the devices would need to be added.

OK, I'm assuming you're referring to

	http://www.vssmonitoring.com/customers/time_stamping.asp

so this is similar to, for example, what I infer the Gigamon people are doing (see epan/dissectors/packet-gmhdr.c).

However, the description given there seems to indicate that it's not done the same way the Gigamon people do it - it just adds, between the end of the packet payload and the CRC, a trailer with the time stamp information, without changing the headers or payload.  *That* cannot be handled with a dissector plugin; it would require modifications at the capture level.