Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 39775: /trunk/ /trunk/: CMakeLists.t

From: Michael Tüxen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 23:58:13 +0100
On Nov 9, 2011, at 10:30 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

> On Nov 9, 2011, at 1:09 PM, Bill Meier wrote:
>
>> Any reason not to remove all the 'if (use_threads)' tests (just leaving the threads branches of the code) ??
>
> I think the threading code was introduced by Michael Tuexen and Irene Rüngeler - Michael?  It appears that
Correct: When capturing from multiple interfaces, threads are used by default.
> capturing on multiple interfaces simultaneously requires threads, so the question is whether there's any disadvantage to using a capture thread if you're only capturing on one interface.
Well, when using a single interface, not using threads keeps the old behavior. Using
threads showed some improvements in our testing, but I preferred to not change the
default... Maybe we should do some more testing and decide if we want to change the
default before 1.8 gets released.

Best regards
Michael