Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] misleading description on Wireshark Download page

From: Balint Reczey <balint.reczey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2011 17:48:44 +0100
On 11/05/2011 03:44 AM, Chris Maynard wrote:
Balint Reczey<balint.reczey@...>  writes:

Why not release a new dev release (based on trunk) to each new release
of 1.6.x/1.4.x ?
Why should we? The svn repository is public.

Perhaps so more people could try the development releases without requiring them
to build it themselves?
We already provide automated development builds at
ftp://ftp.wireshark.org/automated/ .
I think those are enough. Distributions are also free to package svn snapshots.

But that said, I'm not sure a 1-1 development-to-stable release schedule is
necessarily the right way to go either since there may be features in progress
on the development branch that aren't ready for prime-time when a new stable
release is made.
If the repository were not open, I would release a few development snapshots shortly before branching off a new stable branch. In our case instead of releasing development snapshots I would announce the approaching opening of the new stable branch. Interested parties could then look into the current state and submit patches before the new branch opens.

Cheers,
Balint

- Chris