Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Ordinary LUA dissector.

From: "Robert G. Jakabosky" <bobby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:39:15 -0700
On Thursday 03, Tony Trinh wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Robert G. Jakabosky
>
> <bobby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:
> > Here is a Lua dissector that I wrote, it could be used as another
> > example. http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LLUDP_Dissector
> >
> > It is released under the BSD license.
>
> I think that violates the GPL, according to http://wiki.wireshark.org/Lua:
>
> [image: /!\] Even if the code you write in Lua does not need to be GPL'ed.
> The code written in Lua that uses bindings to Wireshark must be distributed
> under the GPL terms. see the GPL
> FAQ<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#TOCIfInterpreterIsGPL>for
> more info [image: /!\]
>
> There is at least one Wireshark author that will not allow to distribute
> derivative work under different terms. To distribute Lua code that uses
> Wireshark's bindings under different terms would be a clear violation of
> the GPL.

I have re-release the code [1][2] under the terms of either the "Simplified
BSD License" or the GPL.  I had picked the BSD license because that is what
was used by the OpenSim project and had thought that it was compatible with
the GPL, but maybe not in this case.  Anyways I now allow anyone to use the
code under either license.

1. https://github.com/Neopallium/lludp_dissector
2. http://opensimulator.org/wiki/LLUDP_Dissector

--