Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark 1.4.10 is now available

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2011 13:50:55 -0700
On Nov 1, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Krishnamurthy Mayya wrote:

>  A small doubt here. Is the wireshark stable version available now i.e.(wireshark-1.4.9) is the one which has been renamed from 1.4.6 ??????

No.  There *IS* no version of Wireshark that was renamed from 1.4.6.  1.4.6 is 1.4.6; 1.4.9 is 1.4.9, which is three dot-dot releases later than 1.4.6 and has three dot-dot releases worth of bug fixes over and above those in 1.4.6.

> I am trying to get the source code of 1.4.6 but not able to get it.

Try looking at, for example

	http://wiresharkdownloads.riverbed.com/wireshark/src/all-versions/wireshark-1.4.6.tar.bz2

in the US or

	http://nervion.us.es/wsdownload/src/wireshark-1.4.6.tar.bz2

in Spain or

	http://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/wireshark/src/all-versions/wireshark-1.4.6.tar.bz2

in Germany or, for mirrors closer to you, look in

	https://sourceforge.net/projects/wireshark/files/src/all-versions/

for a 1.4.6 tarball.

> And one more question is, we are developing extensions for wireshark and currently with version 1.4.9 we have been successful in doing so. Would it be more appropriate if we take the development version 1.7.x and submit our changes OR as long as the source is clearly mentioned any version would do??

If you want to submit the changes to the Wireshark project for inclusion in Wireshark, the best version to use is the Subversion trunk.  Patches against 1.4.x or 1.6.x, or even against a 1.7.x tarball, run the risk of making changes to code that we have also changed, which would, if we were to try to put those changes into the Wireshark source, require us to merge the two changes.  This means that versions other than the Subversion trunk would be less likely to be accepted, or accepted in a timely fashion, as it would require more work (possibly a *lot* more work) on our part.  The lower the version number, the worse the problem (so 1.4.6 would be worse than 1.4.9, which would be worse than *any* 1.6.x release, which would be worse than a 1.7.x tarball, which would be worse than the SVN trunk).