Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Issue with building wireshark from source

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss.ws@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:06:48 -0400
On 10/31/2011 08:59 PM, vijay wrote:
I have installed all the dependent packages - gtk3.1 , glib, pango atk
and all the required packages.
Now when I run ./configure in wireshark build I get the following error:

checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.4.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly
installed.
configure: error: GTK+ 2.4 or later isn't available, so Wireshark can't
be compiled

I have the latest version of GTK+ installed. Could some one please tell
me what the issue is here?

In this case "the latest version of GTK+" is not really a good thing. GTK3 is special in that they ripped out backwards compatability for a lot of stuff, which means that applications (such as Wireshark) frequently need to be *ported* to GTK3.

So, for now, stick with the latest GTK v2 you can get.