Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Is it still ok to create hidden items ?

From: Roland Knall <rknall@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 10:50:32 +0100
Hi

As I just came across something regarding this issue, there is a
counter argument to the whole "if it is not there, the user may not
find it" idea. Looking at the way the IP dissector is used, hidden
fields have their merits. ip.addr is a more generic way of avoiding (
ip.src == x || ip.dest == x ). I plan to use it in the same way in the
openSAFETY dissector, where I have the fields opensafety.msg.sender
and opensafety.msg.receiver, and I am currently implementing a
opensafety.msg.node matching either one.

The most elegant solution for such a case is still using hidden fields.

regards,
Roland