Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] modelines

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 19:29:32 -0700
On Sep 28, 2011, at 6:14 PM, Chris Maynard wrote:

> Gerald has a table of "official" coding standards posted at
> http://www.wireshark.org/tools/modelines.html, and it looks like in the
> Microsoft world, 4 is the standard.

...but I think it can be changed to the UN*X standard in a global setting (unlike a certain IDE that runs on a certain UNIX system but that defaults to a non-UN*X setting and has no such global setting, grumble grumble).  See, for example, the long discussion on the link for Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and the complaints from people who need to be able to read the code on UN*X and VMS systems.

I'm also not sure they're the same type of standard; there are standards within a project that say "all code for this project must use these settings" and there are settings within an IDE that default to some particular values.  Most of the standards there are, I'm guessing, the first type; the ones for MSVC etc. seem to be of the second type.  Perhaps their use means that they end up being standards of the first type for, say, various components of {Windows, Office, MSVC, etc.}, but that's another matter.