Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] modelines

From: Chris Maynard <Chris.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 01:14:33 +0000 (UTC)
Guy Harris <guy@...> writes:

> On Sep 28, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Bill Meier wrote:
>
> > On 9/28/2011 4:57 PM, Jeff Morriss wrote:
> >>
> >> I'll argue that *tab*stops should be 8 until someone shows me how to
> >> tell all the various terminal programs I end up using that the file I'm
> >> currently looking at (in 'less' or 'grep' or plain old 'cat') that the
> >> file in question is using an alternative tabstop. (Or until I'm blue in
> >> the face or dead or whatever .)
> >>

> > +5 !
>
> +10^(10^100)
>
> The UNIX tty driver, the default tab settings you get from e.g. tset, and the
default tab settings in most if

http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/autofs/autofs-207/autofs.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj

> has a bunch of entries that say "indentWidth = 8".)

Gerald has a table of "official" coding standards posted at
http://www.wireshark.org/tools/modelines.html, and it looks like in the
Microsoft world, 4 is the standard.

But no matter, I took a chance that the defaults generated from that online tool
were the preferred settings, so that's what I used in the r39178 commit to
README.developer.  Those defaults, by the way, are: shiftwidth=4 tabstop=8 and
expandtab.  In case those settings aren't actually preferred then we might want
to decide quickly what we do want and make the change(s) soon before lots of
people start submitting dissectors using that as the standard.

- Chris