Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] modelines

From: Chris Maynard <Chris.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:57:15 +0000 (UTC)
A couple of questions/thoughts on modelines[1]:

1) Should emacs (and other) modelines be added to the generated modelines at
[1], e.g., setq as mentioned by Zawinski[2]?

2) In the absence of any other user preference, what is the Wireshark
recommendation on modeline settings, if any?  The following seems to be the
default settings generated at [1], so am I right to assume that would be the
recommendation - at least for files with all (or mostly) spaces and tabs?

/*
 * Editor modelines  -  http://www.wireshark.org/tools/modelines.html
 *
 * Local variables:
 * c-basic-offset: 4
 * tab-width: 8
 * indent-tabs-mode: nil
 * End:
 *
 * vi: set shiftwidth=4 tabstop=8 expandtab:
 * :indentSize=4:tabSize=8:noTabs=true:
 */

And for files with all (or mostly) tabs instead of spaces, would the
recommendation be to stick with tabs and adjust the modelines above slightly as
follows:

/*
 * Editor modelines  -  http://www.wireshark.org/tools/modelines.html
 *
 * Local variables:
 * c-basic-offset: 4
 * tab-width: 8
 * indent-tabs-mode: t
 * End:
 *
 * vi: set shiftwidth=4 tabstop=8 noexpandtab:
 * :indentSize=4:tabSize=8:noTabs=false:
 */

Thanks.
- Chris