Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 39143: /trunk/epan/dissectors/ /trun

From: Martin Kaiser <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:27:35 +0200
Hi^2,

Thus wrote Maynard, Chris (Christopher.Maynard@xxxxxxxxx):

> So that would be option (c) then?
> c) Define ENC_NA differently from both ENC_LITTLE_ENDIAN and ENC_BIG_ENDIAN.

ah, ENC_NA == ENC_BIG_ENDIAN == 0x0 at the moment. That's the problem
you mentioned in your 1st mail?

> The impact of this would imply these other changes:

> For every proto_tree_add_*() function:
> -> Change the "const gboolean little_endian" argument to something like "gint endian"
> -> Verify "endian" is valid for the given FT_ and choke on invalid ones.

You would then check explicitly that for FT_BYTES, ENC_NA is set and for
FT_(U)INT16/32/.. encoding != ENC_NA?

That sounds good. People will realize more quickly when they got it
wrong.

Best regards,

   Martin